Back to overview
The German Andes Expedition to Argentina, Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador, 1959
Collectors: H. Ross, R. Rimpau, L. Diers and W. Rudorf
Besides potato this expedition also collected some germplasm for other crops. The germplasm was collected for breeding and taxonomic research purposes.
The expedition collected 39 samples in Argentina, 67 in Bolivia and 68 in Peru. All as herbarium, most of them also as tubers or seeds.
The material was included in the Erwin Bauer Sortiment (EBS) at the Max-Planck Institute in Köln, Germany.
1974 the EBS (Köln) and WAC (Wageningen) collections were merged to form the Dutch-German Potato Collection at the FAL in Braunschweig.
In 1995 it was moved to Wageningen and became integrative part of CGN.
In 'Documents' you will find links to the website of the Max-Planck Institute describing the details of the expedition and the EBS herbarium collection.
The herbarium sheets are now residating at IPK, Gatersleben. That website includes 47 (from 599) photographs of the herbaria.
All pictures (from K. Stüber) are also available at CGN. Where possible Lon/Lat data were included later.
12 collecting form booklets (incl. non-potatoes) can be downloaded, the 200-300 booklet is missing.
- Website: EBS herbarium collection, now residating at IPK, Gatersleben. (German)
- Website: Report of the German Andes Expedition to collect potatoes in Argentina, Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador, 1959. (German)
- 'Bericht über die Deutsche Botanisch-Landwirtschaftliche Anden-Expedition 1959' in 5 PDFs (of rather poor quality):
Bericht 1959, Itenerars,
W. Rudorf (1959) Problems of collection , maintenance and evaluation of wild species of cultivated plants.
Plant Introduction Newsl. 1959 no.5: 1-5., List of non-potato germplasm,
List of potato germplasm.
- Excel file containing combined information gathered from EBS accession cards and herbarium sheets.
- Collecting forms as PDF: 001-094, 101-195,
301-390, 401-506, 507-623,
623b-718, 721-818, 819-912,
1100-1192b and 1194-1292.
- H. Ross & R. Rimpau (1960) German botanical and agricultural expedition to the Andes January/August 1959. Plant Introduction Newsl. 1960 no.7: 20-21.
- H. Ross (1960) German botanical and agricultural expedition to the Andes 1959. Plant Introduction Newsl. 1960 no.8: 1-5.
- Download an Excel file with all materials of this mission that is documented at CGN: 49 accessions and 40 samples that were not included in the CGN collection (in EURISCO format).